December 28, 2009

BOOK TO PASS THE WINTER TIME

When I was in Utah, I made my pilgrimage to the King's English bookstore, which is truly one of my favorite places on the planet. I've written in detail about it in a previous blog. As usual, books seem to just present themselves to me when I'm there. This time was no exception. I came away with several, one of which I went specifically to buy there ~ Finding Beauty in a Broken World by Terry Tempest Williams. I thought maybe they'd have a signed copy and they did. Terry is a Utah native and strongly connected to the desert landscape. She is an amazing woman and a writer of great depth. Her books explore the natural world and our connection to it and within it. She approaches these spaces and inner spirit with prose that captures both the simple and the sacred. I have had the pleasure of meeting with her a few times, and heard her read and speak. Her passion is conveyed in the unique way she has of reading her own words and in the conviction in her voice as she speaks of the need to preserve wildness, bring it into our lives and learn more about ourselves by being in it.



So, I look forward to savoring this book, reading slowly and thoughtfully. It'll keep me cozy this winter.

No comments:

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
Aspenglow / Buttered Lips by Gayle Nabrotzky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.passionate-psyche.blogspot.com.